Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Importance of a story


Part of consulting work is the analysis of data. But typically, the analysis itself is not what is most difficult. The more difficult parts tend to be gaining access to good data and knowing how to interpret the data. From that point, patterns, cause-effect relationships and forecasts are possible. That is also where there is value to the client. So in effect, the value comes from knowing what story the data tell you.

This is very different from starting out with a story or from making up a story.

I was thinking about what is analogous to this in the non-consulting world and I remembered my own experience learning about modern art. Much of the value of a piece of art comes from the depth of the story behind the piece. Let me explain.

One gallery I frequent is Murray Guy in New York. The first time I went to the gallery in 2003 one piece of artwork was almost invisible to me – the piece was a pile of crates. My eyes literally skipped over them and looked elsewhere. But after talking to the gallery owners I learned that those crates were made by Dave Muller, an artist who appreciated the work of Andre Cadere, who in turn was an artist who made painted wooden poles (Barres de Bois) and left them in galleries as a disturbance. Muller, unable to afford to buy one of Cadere’s wooden poles instead made crates that matched them in size, like carrying cases.

Getting access to the data (seeing the crates) and knowing what to do with the data (uncovering the history) led to getting the value (understanding the story).

Artwork, like business data, may be high or low in value to the consumer or client in relation to the story told.

No comments: