Monday, April 14, 2008

New attraction to the humanities

I have enjoyed reading the recent defense of the study of philosophy and the humanities. In a New Generation of College Students, Many Opt for the Life Examined Stanley Fish’s blog from earlier this year has a different take.

It is heartening to me that these days more students are choosing majors in the humanities. One discipline of the humanities -- history -- has fascinated me since I majored in the subject at Cornell. Over the years I’ve found that you can have nice conversations about many things with people when you travel but if you discuss history, it is easy to get into an argument. Each country puts its own slant on the history taught in elementary and secondary school, stressing, ignoring, changing and reinterpreting events along with the times. And not everyone studies history at university, where there is more likelihood to be exposed to alternative viewpoints.

Many people have asked me how I made a transition from history to technology and business but for me this was never an issue. Many of the big problems in the world today are at some point a disagreement about the interpretation of a common history. Taken with that view, technical questions seem smaller.

In a time when we see worried articles stating that for example, US universities have too few engineering students and that many engineering graduates from emerging nations are not adequately equipped to work upon graduating it is intriguing to see articles like those cited above.

No comments: